Archive for the ‘jane austen’ Category
Ok, I’m sure there’s many smarter people than me who have had loads to say about P&P, but I’m going to say stuff anyway.
1. Why didn’t anyone tell me that Pride and Prejudice was funny? Laugh out loud funny, even.
2. I got a bit annoyed with Lizzie being attracted to Wickham. He seemed like an asshat from his first appearance. (Never trust anyone who badmouths people as their first activity.) Having him end up with the annoying Lydia was a nice touch.
3. I liked that both Lizzie and Darcy were both kind of jerks at the beginning and had to grow up a bit before they could find each other. (I particularly loved the hilarious first proposal seen where Darcy was like “You aren’t nearly good enough for me. Marry me?”)
4. When Lydia runs away with Wickham, that’s some hella stakes with some amazing tension. The whole world is crumbling. Proof that a story about marriage can be as riveting as any “large stage” story.
5. I was particularly interested in the commentary on marriage, especially how love being the primary consideration was the exception, not the rule. It’s so easy to forget that marriage was an economic institution at its heart.